Dangerous Dog Treats – How To Keep Your Dog Safe When Offering A Treat…

Dog owners love giving their dogs a treat. If you have a dog, then you have a good idea of what your dog likes to nibble on.

There are so many treats available these days and they all come in all different shapes, sizes, colors, and consistencies.

 

 

However, for every great dog treat, there are those on the market that are not so good. These treats can harm your pet by being lodged in your dog’s throat or intestines. This can cause choking or worse. As a dog owner, you will want to be aware of those treats that can be potentially harmful. Even with treats that are not usually dangerous, you may need to supervise your dog when they eat!

 

Greenies:

Most dogs really enjoy these treats. They are advertised as a treat that helps clean your dog’s teeth. However, you need to be aware that “greenies” can cause choking. This is because dogs eat these very quickly, which can cause large chunks to lodge in the throat. Young puppies and dogs that are prone to “scarfing” food should not eat this treat. If your dog eats these treats, be aware of potential vomiting, bloody stools, and difficulty breathing.  If you notice any of these symptoms after your dog has eaten this treat, seek medical attention.

 

Rawhide Chews:

What dog does not love snacking on these chewy treats? Rawhides are good because it cleans your dog’s teeth and keeps your dog occupied. However, rawhides can be dangerous, as well. Some rawhides that originate outside of the United States may actually be preserved with arsenic-based chemicals that will be ingested by your doggie when he or she chews.  For this reason, make certain that any rawhide treats you purchase is processed in the United States where this preservative is forbidden.  If you cannot tell where a treat originated do not buy it! In addition, you still need to watch your dog when he or she is munching on rawhides to help prevent choking. Make sure you buy rawhides that are the right size for your dog, too. A small dog needs the smaller sized rawhide treats.

 

Chocolate:

Chocolate is a terrible thing to allow dogs to eat. Of course, sometimes dogs get into candy and cake without your knowledge. Chocolate is toxic to both dogs and cats, so you need to be aware of your dog sneaking chocolate nibbles, especially around the holidays. Chocolate contains an ingredient called theobromine. This acts in the canine about the same way caffeine acts in the human.  A little will make the doggie hyperactive, but a huge dose may be fatal. If your dog has gotten into chocolate, you need to look for vomiting, shallow breathing, and an irregular heartbeat.  A visit to the emergency vet usually results.

 

Bones:

It seems that it is the right of every dog to be able to crunch on a real bone from time to time. Dogs love bones of all types. However, some bones can be dangerous. Both chicken and turkey bones are especially dangerous because they are brittle and can easily splinter and cause choking. Some pork and beef bones can also cause the same problem. Veterinarians agree that one of the safest bones you can give your dog is a shinbone.  If you must give your dog a bone, make sure you supervise your pooch and if he or she shows signs of bleeding, then you should call your vet immediately for some advice.

Giving your dog a treat is great for both of you, but you need to be careful and watch your dog make sure that they are safe when snacking. Always pay attention to what kind of treat you give your dog in case of a recall. While it is good to treat your dog, remember that it is a dog and not a human, so make sure to keep it safe!

Is It True That Pet Owners Live Longer?

Dog Potty Training: How To Potty Train Your Dog